Saving a Life one Step at a Time

Claire Johnson

A group of South students made T-shirts and walked 3 laps to support the out of the darkness suicide prevention walk in honor of Sara Prideaux. Photo by Claire Johnson

Trevor Tolar, Heritage Reporter

Ignite officer junior Karina Siegrist participated and helped organize the event ‘Out of the Darkness Walk’  Oct. 3, a walk dedicated to suicide awareness.

“It took place at Berkley Riverfront Park, and we walked around 2 to 5 miles,” Siegrist said.  

Ignite Club was surprised to see as many students and teachers who showed their support.

“Our initial goal was$ 300 but we raised it to $1,000 because we were able to raise over $800 just inside of our school,” Siegrist said.

Sophomore Niki Chamberlain was not only there to walk, but also to help promote a  suicide hotline.

“I gave everyone I could a suicide hotline card with numbers on them, so that people can talk their way through their problems,” Chamberlain said.

Even though Chamberlain gave everyone the chance to get help she felt mixed emotions about the walk.

“I felt a depressive vibe giving off, but it also made me happy. It showed that people were not alone, the people who were feeling this depression were able to go and get help,” Chamberlain said.

People were not afraid to show their support in their time of mourning.

“If I had to say somewhere around 1500 to 2000 people participated in total,” Chamberlain said.