‘Beyond the Selfie’

Emily Wilkinson, Editor In Chief & Opinions Editor

The Photography Scholars Program is beginning at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art for 2016. Titled this year as Beyond the Selfie: Reclaiming the Art of Self-Portraiture, the five-week program is led by museum staff and guest photographer Megan Pobywaijlo. Students will work in multiple, intensive sessions, starting Jan. 30, exploring the critical differences between the infamous selfie and the contemporary self-portrait and the increasingly blurred line of how fine art is defined.

“About five years ago, we sent a South student… She worked very closely with the artists and other students. It’s such a diverse group of kids from all different kinds of backgrounds. The Photography Scholars Program is a great opportunity,” art teacher Courtney Dougherty said. “The program is very competitive. Any time you have the opportunity to collaborate with established artists, it helps your own work tremendously.”

Through activities in classroom and gallery settings, students will produce their own portfolio, artist statement and relevant works that explore ideas discussed in the classroom environment.

Student applications and teacher recommendation forms are due Dec. 4. Students will be notified via e-mail of their acceptance by Dec. 14.

Workshop dates:

Jan. 30

Feb. 6

Feb. 13

Feb. 20

Feb. 27

Space is limited to 15 students, and the selection process is highly competitive. Each class meets from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and attendance at workshops is mandatory.