16 Questions with Giovanna Vasconcellos

taken by Franka Lohmann

Brazilian exchange student Giovanna Vasconcellos

Franka Lohmann, 21 Century Reporter

The Brazilian exchange student Giovanna Vasconcellos experienced a complete new life here in Kansas and at school. She likes it here, but there are also some things she misses from Brazil.

FL: You are here in Kansas for seven months now. How do you like it so far ?

GV: I really like it. Here it is really nice. It’s a big city, but not too big. They have everything, but not like New York City, where are too many people and everything is too crowded.

FL: What do you like here ?

GV: I like that here are many nice people and because I’m an exchange student, they have so much patient with me. I really like the food and the restaurants here.

FL: Is there anything you don’t like? Please describe it.

GV: I don’t like that the weather is pretty bad sometimes and in winter it is really cold for me as a Brazilian.

FL: How did you expected school in America to be ?

GV: I expected to have Homecoming, Prom and basketball games. Basically, what [American high school] movies show us.

FL: In what ways is school in Brazil different from South ?

GV: In Brazil you can’t choose your class. You have to do everything. The other thing is that school in Brazil is over at noon and not at 3 p.m. We don’t have lunch or lockers in Brazil.

FL: What do you miss about your home country ?

GV: I miss the weather, I miss the people, and I also miss the nature. We have more trees.

FL:  When you get homesick, what do you do then ?

GV: I cry and talk to the people back in Brazil. I try to see how good my life is here and how blessed I am. Here everything is new and then I try to think about the positive things and the unique chance I have.

FL: What about Brazil do you think would surprise Americans the most ?

GV: The people, because we always smile and hug each other. We show much more love. Also our amazing nature and the beaches.

FL: Why did you decide to be an exchange student ?

GV: Because I wanted to improve my English. Many people told me how nice it is doing an exchange. I was curious how it is and what the experience is about.  

FL: What new experiences did you make ?

GV: Well, there are lots of things: I went skiing, went to Football and Basketball games. I went to lots of places we don’t have in Brazil. The school is so different, so it is a big experience as well. Here I had WPA, Homecoming and Halloween so far. I don’t have any of those in Brazil.

FL: Knowing what you know now, with all the experience you made so far, would you chose again to do the exchange?  

GV: Yes, I love it here. I think I would say yes, because its nice here. Moreover I think to go to college here. Everything is so nice.

FL: Why would you recommend doing an exchange ?

GV: Because you learn a lot of things, how to deal with everything on your own and without your family. It is  the best opportunity to learn a new language. Your life here is totally different, but you will love it.

FL:  You have about four months left here in America. What plans do you have for this time ?

GV: I wanna go to Prom. I wanna watch a professional Basketball and Soccer game. I wish to travel more in America or even in Kansas.

FL:  What will you miss when you are back in Brazil ? Why ?

GV: I will miss the way how school is here, the sports, some classes I don’t have in Brazil, for example wood design. Of course, I will miss the people and the food so much. Oh and the supermarkets are so big and amazing. Brazilian supermarkets don’t have so many products.

FL:  Do you plan to come back to the United States? Why or why not?

GV: Yes, I definitely will. I love it here. I love the food and the stores. Many things are so much cheaper here than in Brazil. I wanna travel to big cities like LA, Orlando or New York.

FL:  What would your tell future exchange students ?

GV: Don’t be shy! When you want to make friends, go to them and talk, even when they are shy in the beginning. One thing I wished I did, choose an organization where you can do your driver’s license and have a car. It is so hard here without a car.