New Vending Machines Installed Near Auxiliary Gym

Angel Guzman

On the corner by the Auxiliary gym, students will find the new vending machine that was installed Jan. 14.

Angel Guzman, Heritage Reporter

Out with the old and in with the new is how South started out the year with vending machines. The Healthy Vending machines that were installed at the beginning of last year were switched out for different vending machines. The transition started when Healthy Vending sold to a different vending company Allied Refreshment Company. This change did not just happen at South, but district wide.

“Healthy Vending sold their business to ARC, there are a lot of schools that switched out. They presented their ideas and we chose them as the company to supply our vending machines,” associate principal Michael Rasmussen said.

Even though Healthy Vending sold to ARC,  the school administrators felt that the school had to look into this company and make sure that it would be the right choice for students and staff. The new vending machines were installed Jan. 14.

Principal Todd Dain and Rasmussen met with ARC representatives to hear their pitch and sales ideas. They then communicated what would be happening with this company to other administrators and teachers throughout the building. Then as a whole the school felt that ARC would be an appropriate choice of company to have in the school with their vending machines.

“I like these better because they work and are a lot more efficient they aren’t out of service as often as the others were,” Nurse Angie York said.

Administrators also considered if the vending machines met the nutrition and health guidelines.

“The snacks are smart, given that we have regulations they follow those regulations. The regulations have to do with how much sugar, protein and things such as that in the snacks,” York said.

They also had to make sure that this company was going to provide good services and would be efficient for the students. Making sure that when you spent money in return you got your snack.

Since the new vending machines have been installed there has been an increase of activity around the band room and by the auxiliary gym.

Students like the snacks in the new vending machines better because it has more common name brands such as Doritos, Cheetos, Fritos, Krave Cereal and last, but definitely not least, Extra Gum.

“They are better because there are more snacks that I would eat and are more appetizing to me. I usually go to those vending machines for quick bites before our basketball games,” sophomore Jake Acosta said.