High School from a Different Perspecitve

Exchange+students+celebrate+the+50th+school+anniversary+at+the+Homecoming+Parade+with+the+International+Club+

by Franka Lohmann

Exchange students celebrate the 50th school anniversary at the Homecoming Parade with the International Club

Franka Lohmann, 21 Century Reporter

Seniors leave for college. Juniors have more rights next year. Foreign exchange students go back home. Everything changes.

This year I was a German foreign exchange student at South. It is amazing to experience exactly one year of high school. American students grew up with expectations of high school and were prepared. I was not. Before the year began, I was a bit nervous but excited.

And now, almost at the end of the year, I can say that it was an amazing year, not because it was perfect every single day, but it was full of new experiences. I had my first school dances, played volleyball, was the first time in a sport that practices five days a week and met so many new people.

The biggest part of my exchange year was the academics. Even though you might think going to school and learning is similar in the most highly developed countries, there are many differences. For me, it was totally new to have an own laptop in school. In Germany we use computers in school once in awhile, but normally we use paper notebooks. I had the opportunity to take some unusual and just fun classes and not just the required, harder ones.

Another part of my high school year were the school spirit and activities. Most students are involved in some activities either a club or a sport. Many students spend almost their whole day in school and when they are finished with practice in the evening everybody stays for the basketball game. I remember the game against Shawnee Mission East, where everybody was dressed up. The crowd was cheering super loud and we finally won.

Of course, in Germany, students are also doing sports, but not in school. They do it in a local club outside of school. And of course, we also have school clubs in Germany but normally just a handful which are boring and really small.

Because there are no activities in school, there is no school spirit at all. Nobody is wearing a sweater with the school logo on it and everybody is happy not to spend too much time in school.

The third big part of my exchange year is the cultural aspect. On the first view, you would think Germany and the U.S. are pretty similar. Both are Western cultures and many values are similar, but when you really live here, you will notice fast that there are many differences.

One thing that was really weird for me is that you are allowed to drive in the U.S. when you are 16 years old (in Germany 18) and you are allowed to drink alcohol when you are 21 (in Germany 16). To be honest I think that many German teenagers are more responsible and can better deal with alcohol, because it is not such a big thing and in a way normal, but of course also in Germany you find some exceptions.

However, it is good that teenagers can drive at 16 in the US, because this is the only way to get around. I also think it is right that you have to be 18 in Germany. You do not need a car. Normally you can take your bike around the city. When you want to go to another city, there is a good public transportation network in comparison to America.

As a foreigner I can say that Americans are proud of their country. Every Monday morning everybody stands up and says the Pledge of Allegiance, the flag cannot touch the ground and you are not allowed to walk on the school logo.

During my first weeks here in the U.S. it was all strange and odd for me, but now, after living in the U.S. for 8 months, it is normal for me. I am finally adjusted. Now I’m a little bit sad, because I just have seven weeks left in the US and even though I am really happy to see all my friends and my family again, I will miss this time here.

I will never forget this year in my whole life.