Worth the Stress?

Carlee Alexander, 21st Century Journalism

Prom is supposed to be an enchanted evening for junior and senior high school students. Depending on how much money you spend on prom and how much time you end up actually spending at the dance, the night might be much less than you expected.

The pressure of “Who’s going to ask me?”,“Where do I get my dress?”, “Who’s going to be in my group?” wander through students heads on a daily basis before prom. Wandering through parents heads is “What is this all going to cost?”. Everyone has different ways they will be buying their dresses or suites and who’s buying it for them, some will be their parents, grandparents and most will be the student themselves. The way the student will be getting the money is different in every situation as well, some might have to start a job just for prom, already have a steady job and have some money saved up, while some other students might be borrowing it. Everyone’s prom night and the way they plan it will always be different.

But is the actual time at the dance worth the money? $40 shoes, $250 dress, $40 for dinner, $60 for two tickets to get into prom and maybe you have a limo or party bus for $30 – $40 a person which adds onto all the money you have already spent for what you’ll be wearing. $390 all for……… 30 minutes, an hour, 3 hours?

For all the money you spend on the night, make sure it’s the prom you want. Be smart while shopping. If you know your group is going to spend 2 minutes at the dance, you may not want to buy the most expensive prom dress out there, as well as getting your hair done for the night. You may be better off just buying a simple dress and dressing it up with earrings and a necklace. If it’s your senior year and you wanna go out with a bang, go with a couple other people that want to spend a good amount of time at the dance as well. Whether you spend $500 or $100, make sure to have fun and do what makes you happy.