Album Review: The Lumineers

The Lumineers released their second full-length album April 8.

Album Review: The Lumineers

Kate Anderson, A&E Editor

The Lumineers released their second full-length album April 8.  It’s been three years since their last release and I can say that I definitely missed these guys.  I go in and out of phases where I only listen to indie-rock and the Lumineers always show up on my playlist.  

Their sophomore album, Cleopatra, is full of beautifully written stories about love, loneliness and redemption. Wesley Schultz’s voice is distinctly his: craggy and haunting. The Lumineers have proved themselves as a timeless band. Although generally slower and less upbeat than their last album, it still has a that spark that keeps the listener listening.  

Cleopatra consists of 11 songs.  The Lumineers are extremely wary of the potential corruption of fame, something which has fed into their new album. First single, “Ophelia,” personifies fame as a dangerous temptress. The light-hearted piano and catchy tune masks the profound lyrics. The album’s namesake “Cleopatra” follows the same structure as well.  Another of the album’s stand out tracks, “My Eyes,” portrays the ways Hollywood can crush the life out of wannabes.  I will say that I like the band’s first album slightly better but that’s not to say this one lacks by any means.

You can catch The Lumineers in Kansas City at the Power and Light District June 10.  Tickets are on sale now.