Pacesetter’s 50th Extravaganza

Avery Woods, Staff Writer

On April 15 and 16, the Pacesetters danced in their final show of the year, a tribute to seniors and a welcome to the new Pacesetter Officers. The dancers performed to several Disney songs as well as other classics.

A group of senior boys, the Interpersonal Skills class, and SMS Faculty also performed. Interspersed between songs, seniors Zach Greer and Aiden Sarmiento cracked jokes and introduced dances as MCs.

“You couldn’t ask for a better group of girls than the Pacesetters,” Sarmiento said.

One of the more memorable dances was freshman Mia Neaderhiser’s solo. The JV Pacesetter performed to the song “Dream.” Her award-winning solo impressed many. She will be on varsity next year.

“It was scary and nerve-wracking, but it was fun, and overall, I’m glad I did it because it boosted my confidence,” Neaderhiser said. Neaderhiser also choreographed the dance “Bom Bom” by the JV Pacesetters along with freshman Cara Torchia.

The seniors on Pacesetters this year were Emma Shenefield, Carsen Schroeder, Yiken Jongerius, Leanna Farney, Mackenzie Spaulding, Kate Gawlick, Thais Bede and Kara Byrd.

The theme seemed to be Disney, which was received well by the audience and the dancers.

“They [the dancers] liked the Disney theme because the Pacesetters have wanted to do the Disney theme for a long time,” Sarmiento said.

For Neaderhiser, meeting new people was the best part.

“My favorite part was working with varsity on a dance because I got to meet a lot of them that I haven’t talked to before,” Neaderhiser said.

Even with the 20 dances and the two hour show, the audience was engaged and entertained.  

“The dancing was better this year,” Sarmiento said.

The dancers will miss their seniors next year, but hopefully the next Extravaganza is just as good as the last.