Watermelon Scrimmage Unites Football Program

For the past two weeks, the football team has been working diligently to improve. On August 25th, the team had a chance to show how their hard work has been paying off. The football team gathered for a friendly scrimmage dubbed the “watermelon scrimmage” to assess the team and have some fun.

The watermelon scrimmage is a tradition intended to bring the entire football community together.  It is held every year in order to unify the football players and families. The scrimmage is also an opportunity for team bonding.

“We get along with freshmen, sophomores, juniors, we’re all just like one team,” senior football player Kamau Kimaru said. The senior leaders of the team are trying to unite and build the program in order to improve for the following year.

The scrimmage is organized by football coach Brett Oberzan with the help of booster parents. Coach Brett Oberzan organizes the teams, the players engage in scrimmages, and parents bring watermelon for everyone to enjoy.  

“It brings the program together as a family,” Oberzan said. The scrimmage is a day of football, fruit, and fun for the entire football community.

This event also gives the football team a chance to show how all their hard work is paying off. It is an opportunity for them to showcase their talent.

“We have high hopes for good things to happen this season, and I think we’ll get a glimpse of that,” said principal Dr. Todd Dain. The football players and coaching staff have been working hard every day to develop their talent and are expected to have a better season this year.

“It’s a chance to evaluate talent and what you have and what you don’t have,” Dain said. The program is expecting to improve this season with new talent.

The scrimmage is also an opportunity for players new to the program to prove what they are capable of. The freshman team hopes to add to their new school’s football program.

“I’m definitely excited to show what I can do, show coach my ability,”  freshman Parrish Bruce said. Players new to the program offer fresh talent and ambition to the team.
The watermelon scrimmage is a fun start to the football season. The players and coaches get a chance to exhibit all their hard work and assess their talents in the friendly scrimmage. After the long morning of football in the hot sun, parents, players, and coaches get to enjoy a refreshing slice of watermelon.