Raider Football Moves On With Their Season

Mitch Brock, Staff Writer

South’s football team is facing more struggles as the season goes on with three seniors  getting kicked off the team and five other players quitting upon the termination of their teammates. With only two seniors left on the team, and still a 0-6 record, leadership will have to make its way up from underclassmen, and many new additions from JV will be playing in varsity games, making the JV team nonexistent.

“In a few years they’re going to be a great team and they have already helped us out tremendously,” senior Tyler Law, tightend said. “It’s hard leading for the seniors because we take a lot of the injuries and it can be tough to teach them certain things on the field.”

Law thinks the additions from JV will be good in a few years. The freshman team last year went 6-3 which is better than the senior class freshman year record being 3-3

“The people coming up from JV are young but I think they contribute well to the team. As seniors we’re really trying to stay positive and promote a winning attitude towards the team as a whole,”  senior Jeremy Kuchera, running back, said.

Despite the Raiders 0-6 record, they are still staying strong and hope to power through the rest of the season.

“The seniors that are left are great leaders and we all look up to them. Some of the other underclassmen have to step up and be leaders as well such as myself,” sophomore Dionte Carroll, quarterback,  said.

Dionte was part of the 6-3 freshman team last year, and has made the jump to varsity before the eight seniors left the team. The remaining football players are doing their best to make something good out of the termination of their teammates.

“I would say everything is more positive and we have more energy on the field,”  Kuchera said.

In the last three games, the Raiders have put up a good fight within the first half keeping it close, but losing in the second half.

“I think everything is more smooth and just better overall. With practices it runs a lot more smoothly and it’s easier to focus.” Carroll said

The Raiders hope to carry over this attitude to their next game  Friday, Oct. 14  when they play Shawnee Mission West at South during Senior Night.