Raider Original

Rockford “Rocky” Raider resided at South after his great grandfather, Rockefeller Raider, ventured to America to settle in the Rocky Mountains but wasn’t satisfied with western living. He raided the open land, eventually settling near Tomahawk Ridge along Indian Creek. He saw many bright, young students who wished to lead an educated, peppy life. Thus, Shawnee Mission South was created, and Rockford Raider was born to lead the school. His grandfather told him to always remember, “Raiders, we ever, SHALL BE!”

Ever since then Rocky has been supporting Shawnee Mission South as its school mascot. He walks the halls by night and is unseen by day, which leaves South students to speculate, who is “Rocky the Raider?”

Rocky lives in a forbidden lair beneath South that only South’s pep executives know about. Each morning he wakes up, eats a heaping plate of pep, and prepares the school for the day. He lights up the halls with green and gold, and then mysteriously disappears before anyone arrives. All of his time and energy is devoted to making South come out on top, for being a master of pep is a full time job.

Rocky never misses a day of school because mascots don’t miss anything.  He is always on top of his game. He is the best at everything he does.

Where does this icon go during the weekends? Don’t let his timid persona fool you, he occasionally takes a Lady Raider out for a date, and of course, always has her home by 10:00.

In his spare time, Rocky knits, kick-boxes, practices sports, and strategically plans all of the school’s events. He often plays with some of his buddies, Indian, Viking and Cougar. They get pretty competitive, but Rocky is always victorious in the end.

It’s not easy to be the school hero. Rocky attends a full week of Mascot Training Camp every year and runs five miles a day so he has energy to bring school pep. Because if there is none, the blame is on him.

When this mysterious hero comes out of hiding, he attends every pep assembly, school function and athletic event. He “Rock”s out to pre-game sessions before he performs. He throws around high-fives, gets people excited, hyped up, and rallies them for the game. Rocky provides comic relief when the game isn’t going well, and raises the spirits of the team and fans. Anywhere he can be, he will be.

Just like everyone else, Rocky has true feelings underneath his strong, peppy surface. He’s very spirited, with tons of confidence and school pride. He’s a true gentleman who has a sensitive side when you get to know him. He’s everyone’s best friend. Rocky has the heart of a champion, and  he always goes for gold.

Rockford Raider is important to every student at South. He shows our Raider pride, and eats, drinks, and breathes pep. So the next time you see the green and gold Raider marching down the court and think, “Who is that mysterious and peppy mascot?” Remember, he’s your everyday selfless superhero, a silent guardian, a watchful protector — he’s Rockford Raider.

By Casey Lee