Kicking Off

Boys soccer team enters 3rd game undefeated.
Madi Russell
Running across midfield, junior Graham Ziegler waits for a pass during the varsity game against Sumner Academy.

The boys varsity soccer team won 10-0 against Chanute High School on Tuesday, invoking the “mercy rule” to end the game early. The KSHSAA goal differential rule or “mercy rule” states that “whereby at the end of the first half, if one team has gained a 10-goal difference or if it achieves such a differential during the second half, the game shall be terminated.” The rule is intended to protect teams from being crushed by a more than 10-goal loss.

The varsity team’s first game was a 2-1 victory over Sumner Academy on Monday, August 28, which was topped off with a game winning penalty goal. The varsity and junior varsity teams are currently undefeated going into their third game this Wednesday against Shawnee Mission West.

Players are optimistic about their prospects for the remainder of the season. They are hoping to remain undefeated and to compete at State.

“We’re coming out pretty strong. 2-0 so far, the first two wins of our undefeated season. We had a nice little 10-0 dub [Tuesday] night,” senior Ben Blevins said.

The team is entering the season with a younger squad, including having some sophomores on varsity and some freshman on junior varsity.

“We only have six seniors on the team which for our varsity team is not a lot,” Blevins said. “Especially last year all the kids who are sophomores now we’ve kind of had to take them under our wing.”

While there may be fewer seniors, the juniors and seniors have still taken an active role in practicing with and mentoring younger players. For instance, the upperclassmen have taken the lead in helping younger students through drills.

“The JV and varsity teams both practice at the same time, so we’ll merge drills at times and work together, and compete against each other for some healthy competition,” junior Taylor Reasons said.

The team is facing other changes off the field this season, including transportation adjustments and a new C-Team coach.

“The bus situation from getting to away games has gotten pretty bad. There’s like no buses available for us to get to away games, so we have to drive ourselves to all the games,” Reasons said.

The team was able to take a bus to their game in Chanute, Kansas, which is about two hours away. However, any away games that take place in the surrounding areas will require players to find their own transportation.

Faith Danaher, ‘19 South graduate, who coaches the Green C-Team, which is one of the two C-Teams. Danaher is also a new Spanish teacher. Kam Ozburn was promoted to the junior varsity head coach, after coaching C-Team last year.

While the players have aspirations of a competitive season, they also hope that students and community members keep making a strong showing at their games.

“Hopefully we have more fans at the home games. Obviously the first game was filled, packed. Pack the Raider Dome. Hopefully just people keep showing up,” Blevins said.