A Fiesta Full of Learning

Students and parents were invited to eat Mexican food and learn about the new financial aid program

Mara Baine, Staff Writer

Principal Todd Dain and Counselor Beau Gothier hosted a program at South called Future Focus Fiesta Monday, Oct. 10. This program helped give information to students and parents about financial aid.

“The idea behind it was that there were some changes to the financial aid that started this year. We wanted more personal and individual references where we can speak to our families here at South and to provide them with some resources through colleges, through the presentation and then addition help on the FAFSA, if they had questions,” Gothier said.

The program brought in more than 200 people, way over the amount they expected. Families who attended ate Mexican food and learned about the new financial aid program. After the presentation, there were schools there that parents and students could actually talk to.

“We were not anticipating quite as many people as we had and we had right around the 200 mark attend; it was just kind of incredible. We got our presentation out to families, and we had some laptops available for them to sign up for FAFSA, and then we had some schools available as well so it was a fantastic event,” Gothier said.

Gothier is planning on having another educational program like this next year, but thinking about changing it to having a juniors only program and a senior program, to bring in more people.

“I don’t know if we are using the same name, but there has been some discussion on planning it and maybe doing a junior event in the spring every year and then a senior event in the fall, so hopefully we can expand it and reach even more students,” Gothier said.