Birthdays: An Excuse to Eat Cake and Be Fake

Birthday+hats+and+balloons+are+typical+birthday+decorations.+

Jill Propst

Birthday hats and balloons are typical birthday decorations.

Jill Propst, Staff Writer

Birthdays are celebrated differently around the world, but all parties and traditions serve the same goal. This goal being to celebrate making it through another year. Some people make a big deal out of their birthdays, while others do not.

Sophomore Zeb Lyons, made a great deal of his birthday and wanted everyone to know. Lyons had a snapchat geotag made for his birthday that showed up for everyone at school. People who didn’t even know him took selfies with the filter saying, “I don’t know who you are, but happy birthday dude!” Many people will tell others happy birthday because they feel the need to, often giving off a fake vibe.

“I decided to create a snapchat filter because I thought it would be a new and cool idea. Although some people did not think it was cool, I still think it was,” Lyons said.

Girls are typically known for making a bigger deal out of their birthday especially when they turn 16. Like the show “My Super Sweet 16” that aired on MTV from 2005-2009, some girls try to have extravagant parties. The girls on this show are usually bratty because they get the car they wanted but in the wrong color. For some reason turning 16 is an important milestone. It might be because that’s the typical age to be able to drive. Although the show does not only feature girls, there were very few boys.

“People make such a big deal about turning 16 because most people get their license, car, a big party. The show “My Sweet 16” made me want to have a big party. So I think just watching that and having the stereotypic big parties and stuff that makes people excited about their 16th,” Lyons said.

Some people have a different approach to their birthdays and like to have a more casual party.

“I usually do something casual, like getting food with my friends or watching a movie and having a sleepover,” junior Audrey Reynolds said.

When kids are younger, birthday parties are usually more exciting and made a bigger deal than when they get older. Everyone has their favorite birthday memory that they’ll always remember.

“My favorite birthday memory was my 13th birthday when my mom threw me a surprise party and gave me my dog as a present,” freshman Ellery Vaughn said.

The older people get, the less excited they get by the thought of their birthday. Once they reach 21 and can drive, drink, and vote people don’t think that they have much to look forward to.

“I think people typically stop caring about their birthday at the age of 25,” Vaughn said.

Different traditions that have come to be common have their roots in different countries. Birthday parties began in Europe when people believed that evil spirits were more attracted to people on their birthdays. To keep these spirits away, they invited friends and family to bring good thoughts. The birthday song was originally written in 1893 by Patty and Mildred Hill. The song was called “Good Morning To All” and was intended to sing in classes before school started. In 1924 in America, Robert Coleman published the song with altered lyrics.

Around the world, people celebrate in different ways. In Australia, children eat “fairy bread” which is buttered bread covered in sprinkles. In Hong Kong special long noodles are served for lunch. In The Netherlands, children eat pancakes with powdered sugar. In China everyone celebrates their birthday on the Chinese New Year. The Chinese also believe that a child is born one year old. Celebrations in the United States often differ from family to family.

“On our birthdays, my mom lets me and my brother pick what we want for dinner, and we always have cake,” Reynolds said.

About 350,000 babies are born each day. So chances are you and your 349,999 birthday twins have differing birthday views and celebrations.