The Newlyweds: Latin Style

Maxie Crimm

Senior Olivia Love and Kenny Chan take part in the Roman Wedding on Oct. 27 in the library. Latin 4 students were responsible for putting it all together.

Mara Baine, Staff Writer

Here comes the bride! Senior Olivia Love stood on the altar Oct. 27 ready to marry senior,  Kenny Chan in the library for the class Latin 4. Many other students also participated in this ceremony as well. The event included singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and other traditional songs in Latin, as well as other Latin practices such as “cutting” open a stuffed bunny to find the “liver”.

Before the marriage, the audience sang songs in Latin, even those who weren’t in Latin. There were people all around dressed in togas made of bed sheets and many props. There was quite a large audience for wedding and many people participated in it.
The scene opened with Love not wanting to marry Chan. She begged to try and get out of it but eventually had to. After she walked down the “aisle” and went through some of the marriage rituals including a “sacrifice” of a male and female doll which were thrown into a “fire”, The liver was read. The cutting of the liver is a traditional practice at Latin weddings. A selected person reads the liver which indicates whether it will be a good or bad marriage.
During the wedding, junior Josiah Schools objected the marriage declaring his love for Love which ended negatively. He was taken off the altar and executed. The wedding then continued and Love and Chan got married.
A wedding for senior Joe Stokes and senior Adric Tenuta also took place last year for the Latin 4 students that many attended.

After the wedding, the newlywed sang through the hallways, leading the audience up to the Latin room to eat traditional Latin food and celebrate the new marriage.