Peace, Love, Poetry

Faith Danaher and Hannah Carter

Sit on a blanket, enjoy a nice fall breeze, and listen to the enthralling poets performing in the annual fall poetry slam. Friday, Oct. 28, students gathered around the stage in the courtyard to listen to poets and musicians perform at the Peace, Love, Poetry slam.

English and creative writing teacher Caroline Ewing organized the poetry festival with the help of her creative writing students. Many of the performers are students in Ewing’s creative writing class. The students worked on their poems in creative writing and prepared them for their performance.

Ewing has a background in poetry, and she thinks that the poetry festival is important to give poets a chance to perform. For many of them, the poetry festival is their only chance to perform, and they really enjoy the opportunity.

“I think poetry is a good outlet for teens. I think it’s important to give them a chance to perform their poems if they aren’t involved in Louder than a Bomb,”  Ewing said.

The day of the poetry slam is fun for the students watching and performing.

“I like how the poetry slam is something for the kids who don’t do sports or anything and are more artsy oriented, like me,” sophomore Cynthia Flores said.

Flores performed her poem promoting body positivity.

“I really like the shock factor of it. I like being able to see people up there performing that you wouldn’t expect,” senior Anton Caruso said.

Caruso performed two different poems for the poetry slam and received loads of applause.