South Bowling Strikes at State

At the State bowling meet, members of the boys participate in the ceremonial lineup.

Nichole Thomas

Mara Baine, Staff Writer

Strike, Spare, Split! South’s bowling team went to State this past weekend. While at State they competed against teams and individuals from all different schools around Kansas. This year, State took place at North Rock Lanes in Wichita.

The boys teams overall qualified for State this year, while only one girl did, freshman Nichole Thomas. Thomas placed 14th for the girls in the competition and earned a medal, while the boys team placed eighth just above Shawnee Mission Northwest. South’s team did the best over all other Shawnee Mission teams.  Senior Daniel Self placed seventh in the competition, after playing a successful game. With placing seventh, this earned him a medal as well.

“As a freshman it was an honor to be able to go to state and compete against very experienced girls. Its sad not to have our whole team there, but I’m happy I got to represent my team” Thomas said.

Thomas bowled a 568 series while Self bowled a 625 series. Overall South bowled well among 21 teams. Thomas and Self were selected to the first team for the Sunflower League by coaches. Senior Andrew Brokered made honorable mention.