New Shawnee Mission Aquatic Center

New facility brings new opportunities for swimmers.

Katie Hiebl, Sarah Ohlde, Features Editor, and Reporter

The Shawnee Mission School District and Johnson County Parks and Recreation District teamed together to Create the new Shawnee Mission Aquatic Center. The new aquatic center features a 50 meter competition pool, 25 yard training pool and diving well, along with room for 1500 spectators, a concession area, training facility and two-story parking garage. 

Due to the size of the new aquatic center, multiple schools and clubs can use the space at the same time. 

“If you’ve got an ID you get to use the pool.” John Johnson South’s Athletic director said. 

All the home meets for the Shawnee Mission Schools will be held at the new facility. Because of that schools will only get to practice at the new facility a couple of times a week.

“There’s only two or three days a week that we can practice there because if we don’t have a meet there [another Shawnee Mission school] does,” Johnson said.

The new State of the art facility is located in Lenexa 20 minutes from the school by highway. It is a little bit of a drive, but there is transportation offered so students that don’t want to drive or can’t drive can get to practice. 

“There are buses scheduled for every school there [Shawnee Mission School District aquatic center] and back on the nights they practice” Johnson said. 

Overall, the facility is a great new development that benefits many people. With different features like the ability for the pool to be used for competition, water polo and water basketball, the pool can be used to host a variety of different activities. Also with room for 1,000 people, it makes it easier and more comfortable for family, friends and parents to watch meets.