the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Dramatic Changes This Year

Ethan Stone
Mrs. Peterson shows her students hand motions that go along with their vocal excercises.

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hile watching any South show, the audience sees awesome props, great transitions and calm, collected actors, but behind the scenes can be a much different story. With actors frantically looking for misplaced props, too many people in cramped, dark spaces trying to be quiet, it can be hectic.

Thankfully the performing arts department now has Mark Swezey and Elise Peterson who are seasoned professionals in the business. Peterson has taught choral music at three other schools, teaching kids of all ages from sixth graders to high schoolers. Swezey has taught theatre at South before and has experience working in the White Theater as well; he managed many shows in the seven years he worked there. Now, being back has given the theater department a fresh new start. He says being back at South is “Awesome.”

Peterson, on the other hand, has big shoes to fill after choir teacher Dustin Cates left last year. Choir students adored him and seeing him go was hard. However, Peterson is doing her best to create a smooth transition for the students who are used to Cates. Her techniques are admittedly different and among the changes are a focus on sight reading.

“Well as of right now, I’m trying to maintain the things that are in place. I have this weird philosophy of ‘If its not broken, don’t fix it’,” Peterson said. “There are a lot of really awesome things that are in place, so as of right now it will stay the same until I find a need for something different.”

Peterson is however making one major change.

“I’m using what I call an SRO or a Student Run Organization in order to help in the process of the Cabaret and Raider Revue. The SRO will choose who performs in the events and will help with the organizational things,” Peterson said.

Right now she is working on connecting with the students in hopes of creating a bond like they shared with Cates.

Swezey is working on connecting too. He believes that theater is an art where students really need to feel comfortable with each other. For example,  all of the students got to help paint the theater workshop floor.

Swezey is changing up how the classes are run; he is having classes spend more time in the auditorium and he really wants to focus on keeping the auditorium nice and clean.  He’s also bringing in some new faces. Jason Chandley and Leslie Spindler will be joining Shawnee Mission South’s staff. Swezey has known both from the White Theater. Chandley is going to work with technical issues and Spindler is the new costume designer.

But South students have no reason to fear. Raider Revue, Cabaret and the drama performances will still happen and stay relatively the same. This year’s theater line-up has several shows that Swezey has done in the past. including Godspell, which happens to be one of Swezey’s favorites and one of the plays he has experience directing.

Swezey and Peterson have years of experience and are working on helping to maintain the performing arts department calibar. Theater students are responding well to these new teachers and it will only get better from here.