Rockhurst Raises The Bar

Local private school Rockhurst High School spearheaded a new controversial take on teen drinking and drug use. Starting in the 2013-2014 school year, Rockhurst will administer drug and alcohol tests to students at least once a year. The decision to test the students has been a two year process that much thought and research has gone into.

Rockhurst administration is doing its best to instill in their students that the decision to test is for their own good and not a punishment in any way. Administration is also making sure that it is clear that they are not testing students because of any prominent drug or alcohol problems within the Rockhurst student body. Rockhurst is doing more to be a positive influence on its students outside of the classroom and I believe Shawnee Mission South should be doing the same.

While many people may disagree, in my opinion, testing students is a good idea. We’ve all seen the corny posters in school classrooms that say things like “Just say no” but why is that as far as South goes to discourage teen drinking and drugs? Shawnee Mission South should be doing more to make sure students make commendable decisions. This is why I feel that drug and alcohol testing would make a positive impression on the student body.

I know that testing students isn’t going to end underage drinking and drug use but it might at least moderate it. According to CNN, 17 percent of students smoke, drink or use drugs during the school day. If everyone was aware that at anytime they could be tested, the percentage of students using illegal substances would most likely go down even if was just a little.

Besides the fact that the substances are illegal, if the school was to test, grades could be affected in a positive way. According to The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) 19 percent of students that have a “D” average have used marijuana within the past month. When teens aren’t smoking, drinking, or using drugs during the school day, they might be more apt to concentrate in their classes.

The bottom line is, South has nothing to lose by occasionally testing their students for drugs and alcohol. It might not be a popular decision among students but for the majority of the student body, it wouldn’t affect them at all. Decisions made now can easily alter a teen’s future so why shouldn’t the school, where we spend the majority of our lives, take on more of an influential role?