the student news source of shawnee mission south

Submit a Letter

Submit a Letter

Teacher Dream Team: Faculty Basketball Game

This winter, the boys basketball team has stolen the show. Through seventeen games, their record remains perfect. All eyes will be on them Friday night, as they battle the Vikings of Shawnee Mission West. After the game, however, teachers from both schools will be looking to steal the spotlight in the faculty basketball game. Ten teachers from each school will go head-to-head, to collect buckets while collecting money for cancer awareness as well. This year, the squad is made up of lots of new faces, and some returning stars. Take a look at few of our players who will be out on the court this Friday.

*Note: (This is a parody, some facts are true, others are not)

THE VETERANS

Ryan “White Lightning” Lonergan

Shawnee Mission South signed this 6’3 big man 3 years ago. They were looking for a post player with potential, and a knack for rebounding. Lonergan displayed his rebounding abilities at Iola High School, where he started his senior year, and drew the attention of many big name teams.

“I put up ten or twelve points a game, and lots of rebounds. We had a pretty good team,” Lonergan said.

This Friday will be his debut for the Raiders, but he is no rookie in the pros.
“I was a member of the West faculty for eight years, and I played in at least 4 of their faculty games,” he said.

That’s right, in his SMS debut, he will be going up against his old team. It’s the homecoming he has been anticipating ever since he left. Expect the scene to be much like LeBron’s return to Cleveland, or Shaq’s return to Los Angeles. The emotions will be running high, and Lonergan is determined to defeat his former team.

“I’ve got nothing but love for West, but I’m leaving it all on the court Friday. I’m bringing in the rebounds, and tell them to watch out for the deep ball,” Lonergan said.

The Raiders have been looking for a consistent big man for years, and he may be the final piece to the puzzle.

The only question now is: Where did he get the nickname “White Lightning?”

Heather “Sparky” Sheppard:

Known for her lethal jump shot and unmatched speed, she is one of many guards featured on this year’s team. She has proven herself before in many tough matchups, so expect her to view this one as “just another game.”

“I was a four year varsity starter in high school, and I played two years of WNBA ball before teaching at South,” Sheppard said.

After taking a year off to focus on family, she is back on the court, looking to show the world she’s still got it.

One thing’s for sure: she has the confidence to make a comeback. When asked what abilities she brings to the team, she didn’t hesitate to respond.

“I bring pretty much every intangible known to man, definately a lot of speed and a quick jump shot,” she said.

In the classroom she is a psychology teacher, and she’s been known to use her knowledge on the court too. Getting in the head of her opponents is routine. In fact it got out of control in her second season in the WNBA, and she was suspended three games for “excessive trash talking.”

Coming back from a year off is never easy, and nobody knows if she still has the skills to compete. One thing is certain though, if she can get in rhythm, it will be a long night for Shawnee Mission West.

THE ROOKIES

Bryce “The Kid” McElroy

Bryce McElroy has never played in a pro game, but that doesn’t worry anybody. The Raiders chose him late in the 2012 draft, but that doesn’t seem to matter either. Our coach has shown faith in McElroy’s ability, enough to call him up to the big league already. He realizes his role on the team, and isn’t looking to butt heads with any teammates. The veterans on the team all speak highly of his abilities and attitude, and even nicknamed him “The Kid,” because of his age.

“I haven’t played in a faculty game, but I can bring youth and charisma to the squad. I’m a set of fresh legs,” McElroy said.

Some teams are plagued by bad chemistry, but that isn’t the case with the Raiders. In an interview with “The Kid,” he was asked, “what’s the key to winning on Friday?”

“Easy, don’t pass the ball to Lonergan,” he said jokingly.

While McElroy might not having the rebounding skills Lonergan has, or Sheppard’s killer jump shot, he adds depth to the lineup, and as he said, a fresh set of legs.

Caroline “The White Fox” Ewing

Another promising rookie, Caroline Ewing, will also be on the court Friday night for the Raiders. Like Lonergan, Ewing will be making her Raider debut against her former team. She attended high school at Shawnee Mission West, and will stop at nothing to beat them.
“I went to West, so I don’t want to lose to my alma mater. I WON’T lose to my alma mater. It should be interesting, though, going back home, playing on that court again. I’d like nothing better than to take it to them,” Ewing said.
As much as Ewing would love to be in the limelight Friday, she understands that as a rookie, she can’t expect to play the entire game.
“As a rookie on the team, my job’s to be there for moral support. When it’s my time, it’s my time,” she said.
She was careful not to point out her strengths, so that West wouldn’t know how to prepare for her. She did, however, let me know how they would win the game.
“Listen, I just think that if we go out there, and walk around with some swagger, the game will take care of itself,” she said.
While she might not get many minutes, she will surely make the most of her time. Ewing is known for her intensity, and earned the nickname, “the white fox,” for her cunning defense. Look for her late in the game, where she might be used to lock down West’s best shooters in a tight game.

With the lineup the South faculty team has this year, a win against West is expected. It should be interesting to see which players shine, and which don’t. Will it be the veterans leading the team to victory? Or will the rookies let everyone know that their time is now? One thing’s for sure, the game will be low scoring. Because, let’s be honest, most of these teachers haven’t played competitive basketball in years. But then again, that’s what makes this game so entertaining.

Predicted Final Score: 35-26 Shawnee Mission South