An Everyday Routine in the Front Hall

Faith Xiong, 21st Century Journalism

The art hallway during first lunch
Photo by Marin Sanders
The art hallway during first lunch
The sounds of distant voices echoes down the hall, an officer quietly observes the students out on the courtyard.

Doors of the school office opens and shuts every five or so minutes. Both teachers and students enter. The atmosphere is quiet and calm. Decorated mostly with banners on the walls, this area is the school Front Hall.

The wide space makes it look empty and the lighting reflects off the ground. The only furniture there is a table and chair for teachers to sit in. However, it remains empty.

The only person here is the officer, until a girl carrying an ice bag gets stopped by him.

“You’re not supposed to be out here today,” the Officer said.

“Why aren’t we supposed to be out here?” the girl with the ice bag said.

The conversation with the officer and girl fades away as the sound of their voices is overlapped by laughter. A group of boys enters, carrying their bought lunches and quickly walks towards the lunch room.

The girl with the ice bag says her farewell to the officer and leaves. The front hall returns to its state of emptiness and the officer is back to his usual observance of the students outside.

From across the hall, is the sound of the air conditioner. The office doors still opens and closes.

One by one, groups of students arrive in the hall, their voices grow louder and louder with each step. It never seems to quiet down.

Some students stare at the clock for a long time, hoping for the bell to ring. Others are lost in their own conversations with friends.

“I don’t want to go to our next class,” a girl looking at her phone said, no reply was given.

The sound of the bell rings, indicating students to get to class on time. Each and every one quickly leaves: a boy with a blue shirt and slightly curly hair, a group of girls speaking Spanish, and a male student who walks towards the other end of the school.

The front hall returns to its empty state. The only thing being heard is the tapping against the desk coming from the officer.