Hallway Lunch

The art hallway during first lunch

Marin Sanders

The art hallway during first lunch

Marin Sanders

The many conversations overheard at lunch time combine into a loud buzz. A small amount of words can be heard over all the chatter. The silent trophy case reflects the blurred crowd’s noisy dialogue.

The heels clicking from a student departing from a classroom breaks the steady roar from the crowd. The well known freeness of lunch is being enjoyed. Something about the lunchroom always seems to remind people of high school, or at least the movies about it.

Communication is heard about new rules during lunch, differing opinions give something to talk about. The newly implemented lunch room restrictions are now being enforced, a teacher sits at a table, mandating hallway traffic, no one seems to question his authority.

As lunch comes to an end, the bell rings and footsteps start to take the place of conversation. A boy steps out of the crowd and toward the water fountain; the hum of the machine overshadows noise from the departure of friends. Classes around start to fill, a student with an ankle brace uses the support of her friend to limp to gym class.

Stillness surrounds the lunchroom now, only hushed conversations can be overheard from ceramics teacher Courtney Doughtery’s classroom. Students already late to class calmly walk the hallways.