15 Questions with Megan Smith

15 Questions with Megan Smith

Miah Clark, J1 Reporter

Megan Smith is a freshman with a flavor for foreign language, enrolled in French 3 alongside mostly upperclassmen. Like most incoming students at the high school, she shares her struggles and and experience with an advanced class like French 3, as well as how the class affects her in real world situations.

Q: How is it being in French 3 as a freshmen? Are you intimidated by your upperclassmen peers?

A: French 3 is definitely one of my favorite classes; I’m really glad I took it. During the first couple of weeks it was stressful being surrounded by all older kids, but everyone is really nice and easy to approach.

Q: When you began French, did you think it would turn into something you stuck with all throughout high school?

A: No, but I’m really happy that it did, that I took to French the way I did and that I’m still taking it.

Q: Do you ever feel pressured to do as good or better than your older peers?

A: At times; there are things where I feel pressured to do well in the class, but never really to do better than my older peers. Students, and freshmen especially, shouldn’t be scared of upperclassmen.

Q: Because you’re taking Latin also, do you find it easier or harder with your comprehension of French?

A: Latin and French are actually a lot alike, and my French has helped me a lot in Latin as well as the other way around.

Q: How do you feel about the switch from middle school French to high school French? What are the ups and downs?

A: Middle school French was definitely easier, but French in high school is a lot of fun; the teachers care more about comprehension as well as making lessons more interactive. I’m looking forward to future years of it.

Q: What is your opinion on French Club?

A: It’s really fun; it’s basically French class with no homework. I’m looking forward to the rest of this year’s meetings.

Q: Do you plan on continuing with French?

A: I plan to take French throughout high school, but that may be as far as I take it.

Q: Has your experience with learning French assisted you outside of school?

A: Not very much, but it probably will in the future. I used it to help my parents while they were in the Dominican Republic, but otherwise I’m just waiting and slightly hoping for more occurrences.

Q: Do you have any French related hobbies, such as cultural activities or going about things with French as the first language(reading, music, films)?

A: I like to watch French movies, the rest are usually something I do in class or as homework. I once watched the “Maze Runner” in French.

Q: Do you have any hopes for scholarships with your education in French?

A: I hope I can get a scholarship, but I don’t know if I will. French isn’t something I plan to continue with after high school so I don’t want to mislead a school or something.

Q: Do you plan to one day experience France, such as visiting the country or going abroad to attend school there?

A: I would love to study abroad in France, but if that is not an option, I would love to visit sometime. My family also plans to take another trip to the Dominican Republic, so I’d love to experience the French speaking down there.

Q: How do like Mms Haden?

A: She’s a really good teacher. She really makes sure you understand the material, and she helps you out if you don’t.

Q: Do you think most other freshmen feel intimidated by their upperclassmen?

A: Don’t sweat it. They may seem big and scary at first, but the majority are polite and understanding.

Q: What advice do you have for students taking French, or students taking advanced classes in general?

A: Keep up with the lessons, especially in foreign languages. And don’t be afraid to ask for help, because the comprehension is what allows you to move on.

Q: If you could have chosen another language to prosper in, what would it be and why?

A: It’s actually really strange, but Mandarin (Chinese). I’ve always been interested in the language and culture and think it would be really cool to learn.