Turning into an athlete

Juniors+Payton+Lathrop+and+Breman+Scholz+stand+for+a+picture+after+reading+to+the+Brookwood+students.++The+football+team+went+during+seminar+to+read+to+students.+

Juniors Payton Lathrop and Breman Scholz stand for a picture after reading to the Brookwood students. The football team went during seminar to read to students.

Lucas Evans, Heritage Writer

Normally you don’t see football players looking like they have a heart, but the Raider football team proved people wrong.  Instead of tackling people on the field, second semester some members of the team went to elementary schools to read to kids and teach them what it’s like to be an athlete. The next time the football team will be going to an elementary school is Thursday, Feb. 25.

“What we do is take the football players that have the substantial grades, and we read to them and try to get a connection with the elementary school kids,” Coach Brett Oberzan said.  

The members who go don’t just read, they teach the students that players have to have the good grades and the effort on the field.

“It’s a lot of reading, and it’s a learning experience for me to because I get to learn how to deal with them while they were really excited to see a high school football player,”  junior Breman Scholz said.  

Scholz was one of the four athletes who went to Brookwood Thursday, Feb. 4. and helped give the kids an experience they wouldn’t forget.  

“It gives us an identity and a connection with them, and for the elementary schools, the kids see what’s it’s like to be an athlete with the grades,” Oberzan said. “And for the athletes going over, it’s a great opportunity to go over to be looked up at and you get a sense of pride to get to read to them.”