Platko’s Pride and Joy: South’s New Screens

Administrator+Nicholas+Platko+stands+next+to+the+new+TV+screens+added+to+the+front+hall+over+the+summer.+There+has+been+talk+of+plans+to+add+more+screens+in+different+places+throughout+the+school+in+the+future.+%0APhoto+By+Cassandra+Awad+

Cassandra Awad

Administrator Nicholas Platko stands next to the new TV screens added to the front hall over the summer. There has been talk of plans to add more screens in different places throughout the school in the future. Photo By Cassandra Awad

Students expecting the same old sight of the same old trophy case were most likely shocked on their first day, as the longstanding trophy case was replaced by three television sets during renovations.

“…When I walked in I kind of realized that [the trophy case] was all past accomplishments, awards from the past, or of administrators from the past and not things that were going on…,” associate principal Niko Platko said. “We wanted to update the front hall and have a place where we can continuously change things on the wall.”

Platko was the administrator to oversee the project of the TV installation, and holds the most responsibility in arranging how they will be operated and taken care of as the year goes on.

“What I would like to see is students, where maybe you as a designer want to take this week and you design [the screens],” Platko said.

Each screen purchased cost around $3,000, all being paid for by the Shawnee Mission South Foundation through district funds or grants, which were approved on account that the screens are hopefully to be student operated and to present student projects and achievements.

Although their longtime home has been replaced, the previously displayed trophies will still have a spot in the South Hall of Fame.

“It will be good to have a place to present them all together because they were all over the place,” Platko said.

With what still needs to be organized with the screens, there are already plans for more in the future.

“We can put up to 55 in the system,” Platko said. “I don’t think we’ll ever get to 55, but the idea is that… if a class wants one somewhere, they could raise funds for it and there’s another screen we could have. Dr. Johnson wanted some in the hall of fame hallway to [show] separate district or state championships, or we would have one over the concession stand so if you were in a game you could still watch the game on it as it’s going, or just have  more information.”

The students also had their own opinions about these TV’s.

“It was kinda weird when I walked in for the first time, it was a whole new place, I find them cool,” senior Phillip Chubick said. “Knowing about the uses of the TV’s like, daily announcements, or important things that should be known, and even that students can use them for their own creative ways.”

Others didn’t think the same about them, in particular junior Julian Dubinsky.

“I think they are a waste of money. The money that was used for that could have gone to the lunch or internet,” Dubinsky said.

There was also students that stood in the middle.

“I don’t mind them. I think that they are helpful and it’s good students can use them,” junor Zaria Mckinzy said.