NHS initiates new members

Returning members share thoughts about initiation ceremony

As the auditorium begins to fill up, the orchestra starts to play Handel’s “Water Music.” Slowly the honorary students fill their seats and the ceremony begins. President of NHS, Megan Bogner, walks up to the podium and begins to list the four pillars; character, scholarship, leadership, service. Students are then called onto the stage by name and are given a candle. Once all the candles had been given out the students lined the isles of the auditorium. One by one the candles were lit and the National Honors Society pledge was said.

National Honors Society helps to provide academic and professional recognition to high-achieving members and establishes professional and social network contacts. This event was meant to honor new members and recognize returning students.

Students who are looking to join NHS must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher or an email and must fill out an application.

“My favorite part [of NHS] was the application process. Filling out all the paperwork and being accepted was a good feeling,” Sally Foley said.

NHS focuses on completing volunteer hours. Students in their first year do not have to start completing hours till second semester while returning members must have completed their hours by December.

“Work really hard and make sure you get your GPA up and just volunteer out in your community and get really involved in your school,” senior Anna Kreamer said.

The ceremony took place Monday, November 8 in the auditorium. Parents, friend and family were invited to attend the ceremony at 7 pm.