Construction continues on theatre

Addie Soyski

As of August, 23, theatre lobby construction is still underway. Besides receiving a new coat of paint, the entrance was also getting new bathrooms.

New screens. New paint. And most popular of all, a new coffee shop. But away from the bustling lobby and library, more renovations are being done to the theatre.

For the first time in years, the theatre entrance was given a renovation. The theatre itself was updated in 2005 with a catwalk and flying system, but the theatre entrance hasn’t had an update in much longer.

“They really haven’t put anything to it…. The lobby was in very bad shape. The floor was pulling away from the wall. Dr. Dain felt that this renovation was very important,” theatre director Mark Swezey said.

The lobby is being repainted as well as receiving two 64 inch TVs and new bathrooms.

“It is a classier look. Even the texture of the walls, is very ultra-modern,” Swezey said.

Construction took place during the summer and was mostly complete by the time the first day of school rolled around. However, the theatre lobby remains partially completed.

“[The entrance isn’t finished because of] construction time. It isn’t always exact. They give you a time, but they can be early or they can be late,” Athletic director John Johnson said.

Despite not being ready, the incomplete construction has not been an issue for students entering or exiting the building. Students have been able to adjust and use other doorways.

“It doesn’t limit the students getting in. I think everyone’s very excited about the changes. [There have been] no complaints,” Johnson said.

Opinions vary, but overall, the students, teachers and administrators exhibited a positive response. But not all students showed excitement. Some don’t approve of the new renovations.

“It doesn’t match the rest of the hallways. And I don’t know, it’s not as bright as it is in the hallways. It’s kind of dark,” sophomore Dayanara Zamora- Mendoza said.