Dance Off or Is the Dance Off?

Has Sweetheart been sweet or sour?

Rocky the Raider poses for Student Councils Promotional Material. This pose was later used on the Sweetheart Week 2022 Shirt.

Fletcher Knowles

“We learned that the dance was canceled in early December, and then just at the beginning of February, we found out that it was back on”, said Student Council Secretary Noa Vacek. The decision was made to bring back the dance, after previously being canceled, on January 31st. This change was made because the Covid rates for South dipped below three percent. Today, less than six students are out with Covid.

But the dance wasn’t the only thing thrown into disarray. There had been uncertainties if South was even allowed to have a coronation and a candidate introduction ceremony. The Coronation is happening as normal, while the assembly was limited to a senior only gathering during Seminar on the 8th.

However, due to the uncertainty of if these events were happening many Nominees were not able to prepare quickly enough.

“Neither of my two dresses that I ordered for this arrived on time, so I had to borrow one from a friend and buy a different one and expedite shipping”, said Sweetheart Court Nominee Maggie Chandler. These complications, although tedious, are able to be overcome and still allow those in the court to enjoy the experience.

Despite these complications, the Student Council and Pep club have been doing lots to make Sweetheart Week as fun as possible. The Student Council has been giving away Sweetheart Week 2022 shirts. Pep Club has made a spirit week with categories from Safari Day to Celebrity Day.

Despite all of the hurdles Shawnee Mission South pulled off a successful spirit week. The Sweetheart Coronation is happening at 6:30 before the Varsity Boys Basketball game against Olathe North. The Sweetheart Dance is on for Saturday the 12th from 7:30 to 10:00.